However, if you can and your wallet allows it, use a complex password to encrypt the keys. If the wallet or purse generator that you use gives you the option to choose your private key, it will be time to choose a complex text (complicated to generate by brute force), for example, a text of 200 alphanumeric characters (with rare characters) if possible). Using something like one or several dictionary words or numbers like "123456" is a very, very bad idea. To make your life easier you can use password managers like Last pass or Keeps, which are very safe if used well and help you generate strong passwords and remember them at minimal risk. Now, if you save in Last pass the password that encrypts your private key printed on paper, it would be difficult for an offender to have access to both, but beware, if you lose access to the Last pass you will not be able to remember the password.
Use double authentication
- Are you a person who likes to laugh and have deposited your bitcoins in a web service?
- In this case, we recommend that you, at a minimum, use the second level of security.
- The double authentication factor is a process used to verify your identity when accessing a web service.
- It seems incredible 1 bitcoin , but it almost does not matter that you use very long or complex passwords nowadays. 99% of passwords are stolen through phishing processes (we recommend the chapter dedicated to Bit coin scams ), with malware or snooping the network, not by brute force.
- With the second security factor you would avoid that, if someone obtains your password, you cannot access your account, because you need a second unique password provided at that moment through an alternative way.
- . Once synchronized with the service, after the password you will be asked for a unique code that changes every 60 seconds. This code is delivered to you by the program you use to manage this second security factor. This way if someone is done with your password you will not be able to move the bit coins, because it does not have that unique code.
- It does not give you infallible security, because the criminal who has access to this second key that is generated could also access, but greatly increases your security due to the complexity of this happening.